Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Bibliography of Asian Studies (BAS) / University of Michigan
This on-line version of the Bibliography of Asian Studies (BAS) contains more than 410,000 records on all subjects (especially humanities and social sciences) pertaining to East, Southeast, and South Asia published worldwide from 1971 to the present. For the most recent literature it is best to supplement this search with a general index such as EBSCOhost as well as search full-text database like JSTOR and ProjectMuse.
Japanese Periodical Index (National Diet Library) 雑誌記事索引（国会図書館）
CiNii Articles （National Institute of Informatics 国立情報学研究所）
- CiNii Seach Guide: Under Construction
- CiNii includes NDL's Japanese Periodical Index 雑誌記事索引 and other periodcal index databases created in Japan. Database list is available at http://ci.nii.ac.jp/info/ja/cinii_db.html.
- Some articles are available online at no cost. Others are available on a pay-per-view basis or through database subscription. CiNii is now providing links to full text articles in Institutional Repositories.
- CiNii is compatible with major citation management softwares including EndNote and RefWorks. See FAQ 7.1
- To export citation information from CiNii Articles to RefWorks, select Export to RefWorks on the right side of the screen. To learn more about RefWorks, go to RefWorks at the University of Iowa Libraries.
JAIRO Japanese Institutional Repositories Online
- This portal provides access to journal articles, theses or dissertations, departmental bulletin papers, research papers, etc. in member libraries.
Koseisha zasshi kiji sakuin shusei database 皓星社雑誌記事索引集成データベース
- Kosaisha Zasshi Kiji Sakuin Shusei Database covers:
- Local publications not indexed in other databases.
- Data based on print index, "Meiji, Taisho, Showa shoki zasshi kiji sakuin shusei (120 volumes)"
- Zasshi Kiji Sakuin (National Diet Library)
- Search results link to NDL OPAC and to NII's WebCat.
Locating the Journal
In the UI Collection
Search InfoHawk Catalog to see if the journal is held at Iowa. (For selected lists of English and Japanese language periodicals currently received, also check Japanese Language Journals in UI Libraries and English Language Journals in UI Libraries.)
Locations (western language):
- Current issues: Periodicals Reading Room 3F
- Back issues: 3F (Bound, alphabetical order)
Locations (Japanese language):
- Current issues: East Asian Periodicals Reading Room (2F)
- Back issues: 2F (Bound and shelved in alphabetical order at the beginning of the call number sequence for Japanese books, EA-5.)
From Other Libraries
The Main Library Document Delivery/Interlibrary Loan Department can obtain copies of periodical articles from other libraries in the U.S. and Japan. Go to ILL website http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/services/illdd to submit your requests. Also check Interlibrary Loan Services from Japan guide.