Have questions regarding RefWorks or need some technical support? Contact our Support Team for help.
RefWorks Support LibGuide
For a comprehensive list of support materials from RefWorks-COS, see this LibGuide.
News and Recent Updates
March 20, 2013
We have discovered a problem with exporting references from a shared folder through the RefShare system. Users are unable to export references using the Selected and Page options. RefWorks is aware of the problem and is working to fix it. In the meantime, there are two workarounds you can try:
- This is the fastest option: In RefShare, the Export --> Export to RefWorks buttons only work if you use the All in List option. Use this option to export all the citations into your Last Imported folder. From there, it is possible to delete any unwanted citations.
- This option is more complicated, but it works: In RefShare, select the references you want and click the Print button. Then select the RefWorks Tagged Format from the dropdown menu and click Print References. The references will open as a new tab/window in your browser and the Print window will open. Cancel the Print window and go to File --> Save as. Save the file as a text file. Then, in RefWorks, use the Import button to import the text file.
Jan 11, 2013
We have discovered that the Write-N-Cite add-in for Microsoft Word is not currently compatible with Office 2013. If you require Write-N-Cite, you will need to delay upgrading to Office 2013.
If you have already upgraded to Office 2013 and wish to use Write-N-Cite, your only option currently is to download Write-N-Cite III by logging into your account and going to Tools > Write-n-Cite > Previous Versions.
It is also possible to add citations to a paper without Write-N-Cite. See One Line/Cite View for details.
Welcome to RefWorks at UI Libraries
We rely on the RefWorks Support Team to respond to connection issues and provide training materials. See RefWorks contact information in the lefthand column, and look for links to their training materials in the boxes below. For questions regarding your University of Iowa account, see the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page, as well as these UI-specific FAQs:
Frequently Asked Questions about RefWorks via the UI Libraries
View the answers to these questions here.
- How do I access RefWorks from off campus?
- How do I use Write-N-Cite from off campus?
- How do I export references from Smart Search and InfoHawk?
- How do I backup my citations?
- Is RefWorks always accurate and correct?
- Can I share my RefWorks database?
- Can I create more than one RefWorks account?
- Sometimes when I try to directly export citations, they open up in EndNote. How can I fix this?
- Can I attach a PDF copy of the article to the citation in RefWorks?
- How do I change an in-text citation to include pages numbers or remove authors?
- Can I use RefWorks and Write-N-Cite with the UI Graduate College's thesis template?
- Why am I getting a "security certificate" warning?
- Can UI alumni continue to use RefWorks?
Data Vendor Import Instructions
RefWorks Quick Start Guide
Use this handy guide to help you get up and running with RefWorks!
Videos To Help You Learn RefWorks
See the RefWorks YouTube Channel for a complete list of available videos.
Getting Citations Into RefWorks
There are six ways to build your database in RefWorks:
Converting from another bibliographic management program such as EndNote