Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
InfoHawk+ is the University of Iowa Libraries' catalog and provides information about books, articles, and media. This is typically the best place to start your research.
The world's most comprehensive catalog of items held by libraries, particularly libraries in North America. WorldCat is valuable for finding items that have been published but are not held at the University of Iowa Libraries.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Found an item, but we don't have it? ILL it! Log in and provide information about the item you would like to borrow from another library.
Recommend a Purchase
Is there a book, journal, DVD, or database you think the University of Iowa Libraries should purchase? Submit a suggestion!
Have a different question?
The Library FAQ's have answers to many of your library questions.
This guide will provide a general overview of resources available for English and American Literature.
For more specific resources based on research areas within the English Department, consult the forthcoming English: Research Areas guide.
General Research Tips
- Generate a list of your search terms and any synonyms.
- Search for each term in databases or InfoHawk+.
- If searching for a phrase, insert quotation marks around the phrase.
- Limit your search by a date range if you want results from certain years.
- Try your search terms in multiple databases.
- Look at the footnotes and bibliography of scholarly articles - they can lead you to related sources!
- The first sources that you find may not be the best. Keep looking!