Skip to Main Content

Communication Sciences & Disorders resources: FAQ

Speech Pathology & Audiology

Jennifer DeBerg

Profile Photo
Jennifer DeBerg

How do I obtain a copy of a journal article if it is not electronically available?

You can use the interlibrary loan system to have our staff either scan/send copy of journal that we have in print or to obtain from another library. Either way, materials will be your university email after registering for the system. Using this service is free and unlimited for those affiliated with the University of Iowa. Please view training guides and videos or contact any UI Libraries staff member for help with using the system.

Can I have a librarian perform a literature search for me?

If you are faculty or staff affiliated with the University of Iowa, including UIHC, you may request a literature search to be completed for you. A few of the common prompts that we may ask to help us are below. 

  • How comprehensive of a search do you need? If you need a comprehensive search, it is likely best to discuss in person or by phone (and ideally, build the search together).
  • Are you looking for journal information, or are you also interested in web resources, unpublished reports and guidelines, books, etc.?
  • Do you want to apply other limits (English only? Past 10 years? Research?)
  • When do you need it?

Hardin Library does have a web form if you would prefer this method to get started.

Can I have my paper/manuscript reviewed for APA formatting errors?

There is no formal service at the library to review content for APA formatting. I will offer you my opinion for specific questions that arise after consulting APA resources. I usually advise seeking a knowledgeable colleague/classmate for reviewing entire paper/manuscript.

The University of Iowa Writing Center offers guidance to improve your writing skills and learn to edit your own work. They will provide general advice regarding citation style adherence, but will not focus primarily on locating formatting errors.

How do I access electronic resources off-campus?

You need to start at a University of Iowa Libraries web page in order to be validated through the proxy server.

If you are using health sciences resources, start at the Hardin Library page:

Once you select a resource, you will be prompted to authenticate with your hawk id and password. After entering this information, you should gain full access to the resource. If you experience problems with using your hawk id and password, visit:

It is possible that a firewall may obstruct access to resources. If you are continuing to have difficulty with access after following above directions, try this:

  1. Start at Virtual Private Network:
  2. Browse to the Hardin Library page and continue.