Skip to Main Content

Music and Copyright: Arranging and Transcribing

Licensing for Music Arrangements and Transcriptions

If you want to arrange a work that is copyrighted, you will need to obtain permissions to do so from the copyright holder. Below are links to licensing webpages some of the larger publishing houses for classical music.

In some cases, you will need to obtain rights directly from a composer, an individual, or an organization. 

It is important to keep records of permissions received. In the case of a dissertation or thesis, it is recommended that a copy of license agreements or correspondence be included in the document as an appendix.


If there is a publisher not on this list that you would like to see added, please contact Music Librarian Katie Buehner <>.

Schedule a Copyright Consultation 

Having trouble with finding a rights holder, filling out a licensing request, or other copyright and licensing resource questions?

You can schedule a time to meet one-on-one with music librarian Katie Buehner by scheduling a consultation. The meeting can take place online via Zoom or in person. Click on the button to use the scheduler to find a time that fits your calendar and Katie's.