Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- 4,500 titles of e-books included in various subjects. (Full text: the University of Iowa affiliates only)
- Effective immediately and until normal access to physical collections resumes, students, faculty, and staff at the University of Iowa have online access to a large portion of the University Libraries’ print collection—volumes that would have been difficult to access from library facilities that are closed due to COVID-19.
Korean Indexes with Full-Text
- Mostly in Korean. Full-text collection of Korean classical books including: history, literature, folk literature, natural history, oriental medicine, and other classical works.
Korea A2Z - Korean Studies DB Contents
- Korean A2Z is a knowledge content resource for Korean studies, including full-text online databases collecting primary sources and classics organized by subjects or format. Works such as 삼국사기(三國史記), 사서삼경(四書三經), and the Digital Encyclopedia of National Culture (EncyKorea) are included in Korean A2Z.
Korean History & Culture Research Database
- This database a full-text collection of excavation reports of historical sites in Koreaoperated by national and university museums and private research institutions since 1910. It contains research reports, catalogs, and maps related to Korean geography, history, folklore, and architecture.
- 4,500 titles of e-books included in various subjects
LawnB's Legal Information Service
- The largest online collection of Korean legal materials
History Culture Series
- A multi-media content database dedicated to Korean history and culture
E-Journals in Korean
- Full text database including over 2,300 journals and 230,000 academic articles. Keyword searchable. The journal titles are arranged by 11 subject categories (Business/Economics, Theology, Education, Sociology, Theology, Natural Science, Humanities, Language and literature, Law/Administration, Artistic and Physical)
- Full text database of Korean scholarly journal articles, university publications and research papers published by over 1,200 research institutions in Korea. KISS offers over 1 million full text articles by over 300,000 authors, covering all subject areas.
- Scholar provides a full text academic journal service and it covers 1,090 academic journals with 400,000 articles.
- Provides access to databases including more than 750 titles of Korean scholarly journal articles on humanities and social science subjects.
KSDC DB (e-Korean Studies)
The unified DB of Korean Social Science Data Center (KSDC) consist of all kinds of statistical yearbooks published by the government, public institutions and overseas institutions. These data are classified and processed through a new data-input system developed by the KSDC, and ready to be used as variables for researches. Uses can easily access this advanced variable-oriented DB, and analyze them statistically on the Website
Digital Culture Art Course (e-Korean Studies)
Digital Culture Art Course is based on VOD lectures presented by well-known [Korean] scholars and specialists. It contains 70 titles for 923 courses under 7 sub-categories for continuing education (Architecture, cartoon and animation, Literature, Culture, Art, Cinema, Music, Philosophy)
Bibliography of Asian Studies (BAS)
This on-line version of the Bibliography of Asian Studies (BAS) contains more than 410,000 records on all subjects (especially humanities and social sciences) pertaining to East, Southeast, and South Asia published worldwide from 1971 to the present.
JSTOR (Journal Storage)
Provides image and full-text online access to back issues of selected scholarly journals in history, economics, political science, philosophy, mathematics and other fields of the humanities and social sciences. Consult the online tables of contents for holdings, as coverage varies for each title. Note that this database contains ONLY back issues and not for the last 3-5 years of content. Journals may be searched across multiple titles as well as by the individual titles below.
With full text for well over 300 journal titles from university publishers, Project MUSE covers the fields of literature and criticism, history, the visual and performing arts, cultural studies, education, political science, gender studies, and many others. Coverage begins in 1995.
An exceptional resource that covers the history of the world (excluding the U.S. and Canada) from 1450 forward, including world history, military history, women’s history, history of education, and much more. This authoritative database provides selective indexing of historical articles from more than 1,800 journals in over 40 languages back to 1955. With over 800,000 records, Historical Abstracts is unmatched in its scope and breadth of historical and related social science literature.
ATLA Religion Database + ATLAS
ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials combines the premier index to journal articles, book reviews, and collections of essays in all fields of religion with ATLA's online collection of major religion and theology journals. The ATLA Religion Database includes more than 555,000 article citations from more than 1,656 journals (518 currently indexed), more than 232,000 essay citations from over 16,700 multi-author works, and more than 511,000 book review citations. Full text is provided for more than 266,000 electronic articles and book reviews. This database is produced by the American Theological Library Association. Click here for a complete title list. Click here for more info.
PAIS International covers the literature of public affairs including political, economic and social issues. PAIS International contains references to articles, books, government documents, statistical directories, research reports, conference reports and publications of international agencies. Publications from more than 120 countries are included.
Columbia International Affairs Online
The most comprehensive source for theory and research in international affairs. It publishes a wide range of scholarship from 1991 onward that includes working papers from university research institutes, occasional papers series from NGOs, foundation-funded research projects, proceedings from conferences, books, journals and policy briefs.
[Courtesy of Jee-Young Park / The University of Chicago Library]
Dissertations & Theses
ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global
- Searchable and browsable database of dissertations and theses from around the world, spanning from 1743 to the present day. It also offers full text for graduate works added since 1997, along with selected full text for works written prior to 1997. It contains a significant amount of new international dissertations and theses both in citations and in full text.
Iowa Research Online (IRO)
- IRO is a service of the University of Iowa Libraries dedicated to preserving and providing open access to the research and creative scholarship of the University.
National Assembly Library of Korea (NALK-- 한국국회도서관)
- UI users now have access to the Digital Library of the National Assembly Library of Korea. Please ask the librarian for ID and PW to access Theses and Dissertations received by the NALK.
UI Korean Collection
The Korean collection at the University of Iowa is a part of the East Asian Collection and intershelved with Chinese and Japanese materials on the 2nd floor of the Main Library.
Thanks to the valiant efforts of Professor Jae-on Kim during his directorship (1994-2000) of the Center for Asian and Pacific Studies (CAPS), and with the Daewoo Foundation's support, the University of Iowa has received Korean books in the social sciences and humanities, which have established a solid foundation for today's Korean Collection. We are currently receiving support from the Korea Foundation and Literature Translation Institute of Korea to keep building our Korean Collection.
The western language materials on Korea are shelved as follows according to call number:
- Books with call numbers A through D -- 5th floor
- Books with call numbers E through PS3515 -- 4th floor
- Journals, Current and Bound Issues -- 3rd floor
- Books with call numbers PS3517 through Z -- 2nd floor
The Media Services is available at the Service Desk on the 1st floor.
UI Main Library Floorplan and Directory