Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Using LISTA's thesaurus
To discover the subject descriptors for your topic in LISTA:
- Click on the Thesaurus link in the banner at the top of the screen.
- Type in a likely term.
- Choose the display:
- Term begins with displays a browsable alphabetical list.
- Term contains displays all the subject descriptors that contain your term, whether it's the first word or not, and other terms to which your term is related.
- Relevancy ranked displays the exact match to your term first, if one exists, followed by subject terms "in order of relevance."
- Use for cross-references appear in all displays.
- Click on a term to see a scope note, along with broader, narrower and related terms.
Also, check out the University of Maryland's tutorial "Using a Database Thesaurus" for basic instruction.