Skip to main content

Physical Therapy: FAQ

An introduction to UI Libraries resources pertaining to Physical Therapy

How do I obtain a copy of a journal article if it is not electronically available?

You can use the interlibrary loan system to have our staff either scan/send copy of journal that we have in print or to obtain from another library. Either way, materials will be your university email after registetering for the system. Using this service is free and unlimited for those affiliated (UI or UHIC).

View a short demonstration (4 minutes) about how to use the interlibary loan system.  

How do I access electronic resources off-campus?

You need to start at a University of Iowa Libraries web page in order to be validated through the proxy server.

If you are using health sciences resources, start at the Hardin Library page:

Once you select a resource, you will be prompted to authenticate with your hawk id and password. After entering this information, you should gain full access to the resource. If you experience problems with using your hawk id and password, visit:

It is possible that a firewall may obstruct access to resources. If you are continuing to have difficulty with access after following above directions, try this:

  1. Start at Virtual Private Network:
  2. Browse to the Hardin Library page and continue.

How do I access an electronic copy of a journal article?

If the library has a subscription to a journal, you can access it using the InfoLink button. View this 3 minute demonstration about how to use the InfoLink button from CINAHL and PubMed.

What do I do if I am having issues with accessing electronic resources?

Sometimes, even when you do everything correctly, you still may encounter a problem accessing electronic resources.  Here are some tips:

UI Libraries subscribes to resources based on how many people we anticipate may be simultanously using material. If you receive an error message that indicates that all user seats are occupied, try again later. If the problem continues, please notify us.

If the InfoLink tool indicates that full text is available but you are not taken directly to it, be aware that sometimes you may be directed to a publisher page that requires you to navigate to the correct volume and issue. If you encounter problems, contact us! We need to know about problems in order to find solutions.

If you do not receive a response from our staff via chat or email, please contact the reference desk phone number: 319-335-9151

Here is a page that details several other known issues and workarounds for problems that may occur.

Can I have a librarian perform a literature search for me?

If you are faculty or staff affiliated with the University of Iowa, including UIHC, I can conduct a literature search for you. I will need some details from you; here are a few questions that I usually ask:

  • How comprehensive of a search do you need? If you need a comprehensive search, it is likely best to discuss in person or by phone (and ideally, build the search together).
  • Are you looking for journal information, or are you also interested in web resources, unpublished reports and guidelines, books, etc.?
  • Do you want to apply other limits (English only? Past 10 years? Research?)
  • When do you need it?
  • Do you have preference for result format? Usually, I send electronic folders with links to full text, but can likely send in a format that will best for you if you specify.

Hardin Library does have a web form if you would prefer this method to get started.


Jennifer DeBerg

Jennifer DeBerg
319 335 8554
Clinical Education Librarian

Liaison to: Nursing, Communication Sciences, Family Medicine, Physical Therapy, Music Therapy, Otolaryngology, and Radiation Oncology