This page details the mobile resources that are available for all UI affiliates, due to institutional subscriptions. Please contact the guide owner or the reference desk if specific recommendations are needed, or there are problems with access.
University of Iowa Subscribed Mobile Apps
All of these resources are available to University of Iowa affiliates at no cost. They are paid for by the University of Iowa Libraries.
Available for iOS, Android, and Kindle devices. BrowZine works by organizing the articles found in Open Access and subscription databases, uniting them into complete journals, then arranging these journals on a common newsstand. The result is an easy and familiar way to browse, read and monitor scholarly journals across the disciplines.
1. Download the app.
2. When prompted, select "University of Iowa" from the list.
3. Log in with your HawkID and password and you're ready to use the app.
4. When you try to add a journal to My Bookshelf for the first time, you’ll be prompted to create a BrowZine account to log in. Having a BrowZine account will allow seamless synchronization of My Bookshelf across all devices and the web version.
Available for: iOS, Android
ClinicalKey provides access to more than 1100 medical texts published by Elsevier, articles from more than 500 journals, practice guidelines, drug information, and patient education handouts. Users must log in to (free) personal accounts to download PDFs.
1. Open the App Store on your mobile device.
2. Search for “ClinicalKey” and install at no charge.
3. Once in the app, two options will appear – Click on ClinicalKey.
4. Enter your username and password used for accessing PDFs.
If you do not have a username and password yet, follow steps 5-7.
5. Go to http://purl.lib.uiowa.edu/clinicalkey
6. Click on the Register link at the top right of the screen.
7. Create a personal account using your Iowa email.
1. Download the free DynaMed Plus App from the iTunes Store or Google Play.
2. Access DynaMed Plus via Hardin Library.
3. At the top of the page, click on the "Sign up for Remote Access" link and enter your email address. An authentication key will be emailed to you.
4. Open the DynaMed email from your device.
Within 48 hours, tap on the link in the email to authenticate the app.
Note: If the app is not authenticated after 48 hours, users will need to request a new authentication key.
1. Please access Micromedex via the Hardin Library Website: http://purl.lib.uiowa.edu/micromedex.
2. Click on "Download Mobile Apps" on the bottom right of the screen under the "Resources" section.
3. Follow the instructions/code for the app you want.
Note: After entering the password, the app will work for the duration of the quarter. At the end of the quarter, you will need to return to this site and obtain a new password. It should be noted that Micromedex loads files to your device and will work without an internet connection. However, you will need to make sure that Micromedex updates are loaded before using to ensure you have the latest information.
OrthoEvidenceTM is the global online source for high quality and timely orthopaedic–only evidence-based summaries, pre-appraised by orthopaedic medical experts. OrthoEvidence is the first of its kind, orthopaedic-focused evidence-based summary provider; built for the orthopaedic community by orthopaedic experts.
To install the app:
1. Access the UpToDate website using a web browser (laptop/desktop preferable) via http://purl.lib.uiowa.edu/uptodate.
2. At the top right hand side of the page select the “Log In/Register” button.
3. Register for an UpToDate account preferably using your university email address. Write down your new username and password as this will be used later.
4. Submit your registration.
5. Read and accept the terms and conditions.
6. Install the mobile application on your device.
7. Open the application.
8. Input the username and password you chose during the registration process.
Users will need to re-validate their access every 30 days. This can be done by accessing UptoDate on a University network, via Epic, or on a campus computer, or via the Hardin Library website. This is easier to do on a desktop computer, but can be done on a mobile browser with some minor differences.
1. After logging into UpToDate, click "Login" on the top right.
2. Login with the username and password you created (could be different than your Hawk ID)
3. Click on "My Account" near the top right of the screen.
4. Click on "Manage My Devices" on the left side of the screen.
5. You should see a message at this point that says you are revalidated.
Selected Free Resources..
Check individual products for platform information.