This is the "FAQ" page of the "Music Therapy" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content

Music Therapy   Tags: allied_health, music_therapy, therapy  

University of Iowa subscribed resources for all music therapy students, faculty, and staff.
Last Updated: May 5, 2014 URL: http://guides.lib.uiowa.edu/musictherapy Print Guide RSS UpdatesEmail Alerts

FAQ Print Page

How do I access electronic resources off-campus?

You need to start at a University of Iowa Libraries web page in order to be validated through the proxy server.

If you are using health sciences resources, start at the Hardin Library page: www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin

Once you select a resource, you will be prompted to authenticate with your hawk id and password. After entering this information, you should gain full access to the resource. If you experience problems with using your hawk id and password, visit: http://hawkid.uiowa.edu/

It is possible that a firewall may obstruct access to resources. If you are continuing to have difficulty with access after following above directions, try this:

  1. Start at Virtual Private Network: https://vpn.uiowa.edu
  2. Browse to the Hardin Library page and continue.

Are we missing something?

Know of a great resource that is not on this list?  Let us know!


How do I access an electronic copy of a journal article?

The yellow infolink button should be visible from databases accessed from a library page. Select it to find out if full text available in electronic format.

If available, select the GO to visit publisher page for PDF or HTML full text 

View this 3 minute demonstration about how to use the InfoLink button from CINAHL and PubMed.


What do I do if I am having issues with accessing electronic resources?

Sometimes, even when you do everything correctly, you still may encounter a problem accessing electronic resources.  Here are some tips:

UI Libraries subscribes to resources based on how many people we anticipate may be simultanously using material. If you receive an error message that indicates that all user seats are occupied, try again later. If the problem continues, please notify us.

If the InfoLink tool indicates that full text is available but you are not taken directly to it, be aware that sometimes you may be directed to a publisher page that requires you to navigate to the correct volume and issue. If you encounter problems, contact any librarian.

Here is a page that details several other known issues and workarounds for problems that may occur.


How do I obtain a copy of a journal article if it is not electronically available?

You can use the interlibrary loan system to have our staff either scan/send copy of journal that we have in print or to obtain from another library. Either way, materials will be your university email after registetering for the system. Using this service is free and unlimited for those affiliated (UI or UHIC).

View a short demonstration (4 minutes) about how to use the interlibary loan system.  

Jennifer DeBerg

Profile Image
Jennifer DeBerg
Contact Info
319 335 8554
Send Email
Office Hours:
Daily, hours variable. My office is on 2nd floor of Hardin Library in commons west, room 207 f. You can always stop by to see if I am available, but best to make appointment in advance.

Music Librarian

Profile Image
Katie Buehner
Contact Info
Send Email

Loading  Loading...