What is Open Education?
Open education applies the principles behind Creative Commons licenses, such as free use and reuse, within an educational context.
Open Educational Resources (OER)
Open Educational Resources are free teaching, learning, and research materials that reside in the public domain or are available through an open license that encourages the sharing, updating, and adapting of these materials. These include textbooks, modules, assignments, readings lists, syllabi, and sometimes even entire courses taught in real time.
Where to find Open Educational Resources:
- Open Textbook Library - A textbook portal provided by the Open Textbook Network, of which UI is a member
- OERCommons - A dynamic, searchable database of open education materials.
- Open Stax - A collection of survey course textbooks from Rice University.
- Connexions - Free course modules, textbooks, reports, and assignments.
- OpenCourseWare Consortium - A global collaboration of higher education institutions committed to open education.
- MERLOT - An open education portal from institutions in California