When no North American library owns what you need, the UI Libraries can try placing an ILL/DD request with the National Diet Library (NDL) for you. To maximize your chance to obtain what you need, please try the following.
1. First, double check if any North American libraries own what you need by searching OCLC WorldCat.
2. Choose the appropriate request form. There are separate request forms for Article, Book, Book Chapter, etc. When you are creating your request form from OCLC WorldCat, please double check which form you are using. When you search for a journal in OCLC WorldCat and use link, you are taken to the Book request form. Not to the Article form. Choosing the right form helps our ILL/DD staff greatly especially dealing with foreign language materials.
3. When cutting & pasting information from OCLC WorldCat to the ILL/DD form, please delete diacritics. They may get garbled.
4. Search the NDL OPAC for your books or article. Go to http://www.ndl.go.jp/.
5. From the full display of the bibliographic information, please include the following information on your ILL/DD request form.
For arctiels: Include ISSN, article ID (記事登録ID), and URL. ISSN will be useful for our staff to confirm the journal is not available from any other North American libraries. Article ID and URL are very important for our staff to locate what you need!
For books: ISBN, record ID (書誌ID), and URL. Again, ISBN is very useful to double check if any North American library own the book. If not, our staff will use Record ID and URL you are providing to find what you are looking for in the NDL.