Please note: Starting January 1, 2015 RefWorks and Write-N-Cite will no longer be available for free from the UI Libraries. We recommend current RefWorks users transfer their citations to another citation management program well in advance of December 31, 2014 (see instructions below). EndNote Basic (for undergraduates) and EndNote Desktop (for faculty, staff, graduate and professional students) are available for free through the UI Libraries.
Other web-based citation managers are also available for free.
What is RefWorks?
RefWorks is a web-based citation management and bibliography tool. It can help you to efficiently store, organize, and share citations and easily format them for papers and bibliographies.
Frequently Asked Questions about RefWorks via the UI Libraries
View the answers to these questions here.
- How do I access RefWorks from off campus?
- How do I use Write-N-Cite from off campus?
- How do I export references from Smart Search and InfoHawk?
- How do I backup my citations?
- Is RefWorks always accurate and correct?
- Can I share my RefWorks database?
- Can I create more than one RefWorks account?
- Sometimes when I try to directly export citations, they open up in EndNote. How can I fix this?
- Can I attach a PDF copy of the article to the citation in RefWorks?
- How do I change an in-text citation to include pages numbers or remove authors?
- Can I use RefWorks and Write-N-Cite with the UI Graduate College's thesis template?
- Why am I getting a "security certificate" warning?
- Can UI alumni continue to use RefWorks?
600 Newton Rd.
Iowa City, IA 52242-1098
Clinical Education Librarian